I believe, passionately, in writing for a variety of audiences—not just academic. I have published pieces about sports, culture, education, labor, folklore and language learning. Below are links to a few writing samples:
- 2018 “The Nordic Goat of Christmas Past and Present.” Folklore Thursday.
- 2017 “The Devil’s Instrument: Hardanger Fiddles and Norwegian-American Folk Music.” Folklore Thursday.
- 2017 “#FolkloreThursday: Public Folklore.” Foxy Folklorist: Folklore, Culture, Sex.
- 2017 “Williamson’s Own Words.” Fulbright Student Program Blog.
- 2017 “Wobbly Poets: Joe Hill, Signe Aurell, and Scandinavian-American Laborlore.” Folklore Thursday.
- 2016 “Rethinking Professional Development.” Inside Higher Ed.
- 2014 “Estrella’s Double Beef & Onion Potato Chips.” McSweeney’s Internet Tendencies: Reviews of New Food.
- 2012 “What if Tim Tebow were Muslim?” Salon.com.
Along with my work above, I wrote regularly between 2009 and 2017 for Transparent Language, a language software company that hosts a blog about Swedish language and culture:
Working as a public folklorist means that I’ve also spent a lot of time writing academic pieces for entirely different audiences and often collaboratively with my coworkers:
- 2018 “Siftr: A Tool for the Folklore Classroom.” With Thomas A. DuBois, Ruth Olson, James Mathews, and David Gagnon. The Journal of Folklore and Education 5.1: 13–29.
- 2018 “Indigenous Sustainabilities: Decolonization, Education, and Collaboration at the Ojibwe Winter Games.” With Tim Frandy and Colin Gioia Connors. The Journal of Sustainability Education 18: 1–25.
- 2017 “En radikal rebellflicka: Den svenskamerikanska arbetarrörelsen och kristendomen
- 2017 “Sustainable Power: Decolonising Sustainability Through Anishinaabe Epistemologies and Public Humanities Programming.” With Tim Frandy in Going Beyond: Perceptions of Sustainability in Heritage Studies, eds. Marie-Theres Albert, Francesco Bandarin, and Ana Pereira Roders, 217–230. Springer International Publishing.i Signe Aurells noveller.” Personhistorisk Tidskrift 2017.1: 31–48.
- 2016 “Heritage Repatriation and Educational Sovereignty at an Ojibwe Public School.” With Thomas A. DuBois, Tim Frandy, and Colin Gioia Connors. Journal of Folklore and Education 3: 31–41.
- 2016 “Don’t Mourn, Educate: Signe Aurell and the Swedish-American Labor Press.” Swedish American Historical Quarterly 67.2: 71–89.
- 2014 “Swedish Space in Upper Midwestern Churches.” American Studies in Scandinavia 44.1: 29–47.
- 2013 “Plough to the Setting Sun. Enok Mortensen.” The Bridge 36.1/2: 94–96.
- 2012 “Folkloristic Koinés and the Emergence of Swedish-American Ethnicity.” ARV: Nordic Yearbook of Folklore 68: 121–150.
- 2012 “Tulagi Hotel. Heikki Hietala.” The Finnish American Reporter 26.8: 15.